Thursday, January 1, 2009

Rumblings of Imminence - on its way. . .

I'm a bit apprehensive - I am getting ready to submit my first finished film to its first film festival tomorrow.  I'm trying to get into the Big Muddy Film Festival, which happens to take place at my alma mater, Southern Illinois University so I am hoping that will give me an added boost of luck. It's kind of a scary thing - I've been working on this project for three years.  While I feel like I should have completed this project in 1 or 2 years I also feel good about myself for having undertaken it and working on it amongst the very few moments of free time I have.  Those moments don't happen often when you work 2 jobs, do freelance production and belong to a very large family that keeps your social calendar full all year long.  But I did it and that to me is good enough. 

I'm anxious to see how my work is perceived - assuming it gets played before an audience!  Whether it's the Big Muddy Film Festival or some other festival later on I hope that I'm able to at least get it screened in front of 1 crowd consisting of people I don't know.  Sure I can show it to friends and family but I can't help but think there's a bit of bias in their reviews of my work.  I appreciate their support.   

As we filmmakers like to say I have abandoned this film and am finished tinkering, editing, 'ideating' and re-editing.  But I won't ever stop worrying that I could've made it better, longer, more informative, more dramatic, more engaging to the audience - there's a million different things I could have done but what I have is what I decided was right.  I hope that this is the first of many films I can produce, because I've got a list in my head of projects I want to start working on.  So if anyone has monetary contributions they'd like to make so that I  can quit my job and become a filmmaker full time I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

Janie S. said...

Can't wait to hear the results of the jury- but alas, I am one of those biased people who keeps your social calendar full, and banter endlessly about your personal life...
Wish I had the $$$ to give you, little brother, but all I have is love! :-)

goooooood girl said...

i like your blog......